Director of Corporate Partnerships
Tourism Cares | Canton MA 02021 USA | Full Time | Posted: 12/16/2013
Director of Corporate Partnerships
Tourism Cares, the philanthropic arm and advocate of the travel industry, is hiring a sales and marketing professional to grow and lead its relationships with travel and tourism companies.
About Tourism Cares
The mission of Tourism Cares is to preserve and enrich the travel experience for future generations. We channel the philanthropic passion and commitment of the travel industry to protect and restore valuable destinations we all care about—and to support those destinations as engines for community prosperity, civil society, and pride.
Our domestic programs focus on the industry-wide volunteer “Tourism Cares for America” programs, capacity building for the nonprofit stewards of tourism sites, and scholarships and mentoring to support a talented workforce. Globally, our efforts include volunteer expeditions, corporate social responsibility partnerships, and strategic investments.
Most recently we gathered more than 270 volunteers from across the travel industry to help restore Plimoth Plantation, rebuilding part of the palisade surrounding the English Village and painting the Mayflower II, as well as reintroducing this iconic place to many travel professionals. Overseas we are active in Haiti and Peru, where a sister organization has formed, Turismo Cuida. Our next priority is wide-ranging support for the planned renovation of Miami Marine Stadium; and we will begin work in Egypt and Myanmar in 2014.
Formed in 2003, this year we have successfully transitioned in a new CEO and are prepared for fresh innovation and acceleration both domestically and overseas. Tourism Cares, a 501(c)(3) public charity, has a budget of approximately $1.5 million, most of which is raised annually in donations from companies closely affiliated with travel, tourism and hospitality.
We maintain close relationships and support with the association founders of Tourism Cares such as the US Tour Operators Association (USTOA), National Tour Association (NTA), American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA), and International Air Transport Association (IATA). We are governed by an 18 member Board of Directors who are very active in their time and participation. Please visit www.TourismCares.org to learn more.
The Director of Corporate Partnerships Role
The Director of Corporate Partnerships position is a new role, specializing in sales and relationships with our core constituency, companies across the travel industry. The Director will report to, and partner with, Mike Rea, CEO, and will interact with all team members.
The overriding goals of the position are to:
- Ø Rapidly grow the general corporate membership base of Tourism Cares
- Ø Increasingly engage corporate members, and non-members, in supporting specialized Tourism Cares programs (e.g. support for the Miami Marine Stadium or Myanmar programs)
- Ø Measure and increase corporate member satisfaction with the value, programs and services of Tourism Cares
Primary responsibilities for the role will be:
Corporate membership program – refinement and growth
- § Work with the CEO and the team to refine an exciting, industry-wide corporate membership program, transitioning an established “corporate partners” program
- § Actively source new corporate prospects through research, networking, Board of Director and other referrals, etc.
- § Cultivate and convert prospects by working independently and with support of the CEO, program teams, and Directors
Stewardship and Relationship Management of Membership
- Engage, steward and retain existing corporate members
- Develop a relationship management system for assigning relationships across the organization and Board; the Director of Corporate Partnerships is expected to shoulder a high percentage of relationships, along with the CEO
- Work with marketing and the program teams to provide the programs and communications elements needed for stewarding corporate members
Support for marketing and other fundraising programs
- Inform marketing and program development efforts to secure additional support beyond corporate membership based on a member’s particular interests (e.g. Miami, Myanmar, Egypt).
- Work with the program team on recruitment for volunteer events
- Lead the sponsorship push with corporations for auctions and other fundraisers for our benefit
- Support the cultivation of corporate foundations and the development of grant proposals
Organizational leadership and partnership
- Be a team leader as a member of the senior staff team
- Contribute to an entrepreneurial, open, inquisitive corporate culture of learning and excellence
- Embrace ongoing professional development and learning
The Director of Corporate Partnerships will be supported by one part-time staff member and other staff as needed, and will have an opportunity to hire a new development and marketing administrative associate.
The Director will be a seasoned leader with at least 10 years of sales experience, with demonstrated success leading and managing corporate sales efforts. The Director will have the following experience and attributes:
- A passion for Tourism Cares’ mission: for positive outcomes in tourism communities and for our programs
- Business development/sales experience and leadership can come from two career paths:
- B2B sales experience within the U.S. travel industry
- Corporate membership and sponsorship experience at a nonprofit institution
- If from the corporate sector, some nonprofit volunteer and/or Board experience is preferred but not necessary
- Bachelor’s degree; MBA or advanced degree preferred
- Excitement at the prospect for working at a growing, entrepreneurial social enterprise
- Additional experience in traditional fundraising, charitable foundations and/or major donors is a plus
- Working knowledge of CRM systems for prospecting/fundraising is essential
- Must be a self-starter familiar with the entire sales cycle, from identification and prospecting to closing the deal and relationship management
- Must also have experience coordinating with others to drive sales success (e.g. the CEO, Board members, program specialists)
- Experience feeding account, sales and prospect/pipeline data into financial budgets and forecasts
- Needs to be a team player, collaborating with marketing and programs in order to ensure maximum traction for new sales and stewardship/retention
- Strong storytelling and presentation skills are essential, as the Director will be required to present at meetings and conferences small and large
- Experience managing sales, development or marketing teams, including administrative staff
- Ability for U.S. travel approximately 30%+ of the time
Additional Details and How to Apply
This is a full-time, exempt position with Tourism Cares (Canton, MA) but, depending on skill set and experience, may be remotely based. If working remotely, approximately 5-7 days per month in Boston will be expected for team meetings and in-person collaboration.
Tourism Cares is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, ethnicity, or orientation. This job description may be changed as management deems necessary.
Please reply by January 3, 2014.
|Location||Canton, MA, 02021, USA|
|How to apply||Applications are no longer accepted for this job posting.|